Dallas Family Emergency Communication Plan
Family Emergency Communication Plan
The best time to prepare for a disaster is before anything has happened. Ask yourself:
- What if something happens and I’m separated from my family?
- How will I be able to reach my family?
- Where will we meet up?
Having a communication plan with your family may help you reunite with your loved ones. You can plan ahead of time how to reach each other and where you will meet.
Text Messages Are More Reliable than Calls
During storms, text messages are more reliable than phone calls since phone lines are often overloaded. This does not guarantee your text goes through, but it has a better chance of working.
What Should My Family Communication Include?
- What neighborhood place can you all go to meet up? Include its name, address, and number.
- Who is a local person that can provide a place to meet up? Include their name, address, and number.
- Who is out-of-town that can provide a place to meet up? Include their name, address, and number.
Likely Places to Be
Also, consider where your family spends a lot of time; they may still be at this location when an emergency happens.
- Other (daycare, gym, friend’s house)
Have each place’s address and phone number.
If the general phone line is busy, call someone else that you know inside to verify the whereabouts of your loved one.
Pet Emergency Kit
If you have pets, make sure these places are all willing to take in your furry little one. Think about what items your pet will need to be safe and comfortable while you’re away from home. Examples include:
- Food bowls
- Vaccination records
- Cat litter with box
Other Emergency Preparedness Considerations
- If you know a storm is coming, have you prepared your home? Read our article about home preparedness here.
- Is your car ready? Does it have its own First Aid Kit? Is it filled with gas?
- Which car will you pick people up in? Remember to also take your pets with you.
- Who will pick up whom? If you’ll be riding in multiple cars, consider making a map for each person’s pick up route.
- Do you have go bags ready? If you know there is a chance of a storm, consider packing a go bag ahead of time and keeping it with you. Take necessary items only.
- If the roadways are at risk of flooding, how soon will you choose to gather your family?
Where to Keep Your Emergency Plan
Keep a copy of this plan in your emergency preparedness documents bag.
Also, give a copy to everyone involved in it so they can keep it in their bag or backpack. It’s a good idea to keep this paper in a sealed plastic bag or even laminating it to make sure its resistant to water.
Don’t just keep a digital copy on your phone! If you found yourself with a source of electricity and your phone’s battery died, what would you do? Go old school and keep it on paper.
Other Dallas Emergency Preparedness Considerations
Build a hurricane emergency supply kit. This checklist will quickly tell you which items you should be prepared to have and breaks it down by category.
Build a DIY first aid kit. A first aid does not have to be fancy. In fact, we recommend buying these items in bulk and simply restocking your kit when necessary. It also makes it easier and more affordable to have more than one kit in your inventory.
Prepare a home inventory of your household items. Your insurance provider will need proof of items you are claiming to have been destroyed or lost. Only you can provide proof of your claim.
Create a family communications plan. Help your family prepare for plans A, B, and C in case of an emergency. Don't rely on figuring out details on the spot.
Sign up to receive alerts from your county’s office of emergency management and FEMA.
If you have a disability, consider signing up for the Texas Emergency Assistance Registry Program (STEAR).
Trusted Leader in Dallas Storm Damage and Repair
SERVPRO of North Irving is a water damage restoration and fire and smoke damage restoration company in Dallas, Texas. We have performed work in our Dallas community for over 30 years. With our crews responding immediately to jobs, we are faster to any size disaster in Dallas. We also have a Texas Mold Remediation Contractor License and offer free mold inspections. You can trust us to restore your home or business.
Our crews are available dispatch for 24-hour emergencies every day of the year. We can be reached 24/7 at (972) 986-7677. Call us any time!
“Like it never even happened,” only happens here.
Source: Texas Hurricane Center