Dallas Storm Watch versus Warning
We hear these terms on TV and read about them online, but what really is the difference between a storm watch vs a storm warning?
Knowing what weather terms mean can help you prepare your home and family for any type of weather event. The best time to learn them is before any emergency happens.
A forecast tells you what meteorologists think is likely to happen. A forecast may tell you that storms are possible but not they’re not yet confirmed. The best action to take with a forecast is just to keep in mind and keep up with the news in case something stronger develops.
You can stay up to date with future weather forecasts by downloading many free weather apps on Android or iOS. Make sure you opt for free alerts on your phone or tablet.
We remember what a storm watch is by thinking, “We are watching to see if the storm comes towards us.”
A storm watch means conditions are favorable for severe weather, but will they actually happen? We don’t know, but the likelihood is yes more than no. Storms are either developing now or will develop.
Pay close attention to the weather forecast and be ready to take action. This is a great time to prepare your house if forecasts are calling for a strong storm.
- Tie down or bring in outdoor items that can go airborne.
- Clean out your gutters to prevent water from pooling on your roof.
- For serious storms, consider boarding up your windows.
- If a possible tornado is on its way, make sure your safe room is ready.
A storm warning means severe weather is occurring or is imminent in your area. It’s actually happening! Do not delay. Take action now to keep your family and pets safe.
What do I do if severe Dallas weather is coming?
- Have a plan for shelter in place.
- Where will you place your family?
- What about your pets? Bring them indoors.
- Choose a place without windows nearby. We recommend bathrooms or large closets that are not touching outer walls.
- Be ready to live without electricity for a while.
- Make sure you have clean water and food that does not need to be refrigerated. A refrigerator only keeps food fresh for up to 4 hours if it stays closed.
- Have fully charged flashlights ready.
- Have the means to check the weather forecasts. A battery-operated radio is a great idea.
- Charge your phones.
- Put your mobile phones on their charger prior to the storm to be sure you can make calls in case of an emergency.
- If you have extra portable batteries, considering charging those as well.
- Just remember -- during severe weather, your cell phone may not work very well. If you have a landline, that may be your best bet.
- Carry your DIY first aid kit with you in case of small cuts.
- Know where your emergency preparedness documents are.
- Prepare your home for Dallas storm damage.
- Make sure your gutters are clean to avoid water pooling and that you have a working drainage system for your yard.
- Is everything outside tied down? If you have a loose bike or lawn furniture outdoors, bring it in or make sure it’s attached to the ground. Don’t let your backyard debris get windborne.
- If the storm is severe, consider boarding up your windows to prevent wind damage.
What if my property has storm damage?
SERVPRO responds to all types of storm events. We have serviced many homes, businesses, and schools damaged by storm damage such as large hail, hurricanes, and tornadoes.
Our technicians and managers were dispatched to Houston for Hurricane Harvey cleanup efforts. We spent months performing water removal, sanitizing, and drying homes and businesses affected by floodwaters.
We have the experience and expertise you need to put your home back together.
See some before and after pictures of storm-related damage we've remediated.
Dallas Storm Damage Repair Available 24/7
After the storm has passed and conditions are safe for our technicians, our work begins. We provide the following disaster cleanup services to all of Dallas Fort Worth:
- Emergency roof tarping
- Window board up
- Home board up (if damaged occurred to the walls of your home)
- Temporary fencing
- 24 hour live security guard to prevent looting
Emergency Restoration Services
We provide 24-hour emergency water removal, cleanup, and drying if water has breached your property.
Trusted Leader in Water Damage Restoration and Fire Damage Restoration in Dallas Texas
SERVPRO of North Irving is a Dallas water damage restoration and fire and smoke damage restoration company in Dallas Texas. We are also a Texas Mold Remediation Contractor for Texas and offer free Dallas mold inspections.
Our crews are available dispatch for 24-hour emergencies in Dallas every day of the year. We can be reached 24/7 at (972) 986-7677. Call us any time!
“Like it never even happened,” only happens here.