How to Get Flooded Water Out of the House?
Home Flood Clean Up
The water from floods that are the result of a storm is considered Category 3--grossly contaminated. This type of water is considered to pose a serious health risk to human health and shouldn’t be touched.
The reason to categorize it this way is that as the water hits the ground, it picks up everything that is out in nature--including pesticides, oil from the street, and many mother unknown contaminants.
So, if flood water is contaminated, then how do you soak up flooded water?
How to Clean Up After a Flood
If you live in an area prone to flooding or Hurricanes, talk to your insurance company about getting the necessary insurances to make sure your property is covered.
Many property owners are often caught off-guard by rising waters and are saddened and frustrated to learn that their insurance claim is denied. Don’t let this happen to you!
“Hurricane insurance” is actually made up of a combination of various types of insurance and endorsements. Talk to your insurance company about:
- Homeowners Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Windstorm Coverage
- Other endorsements you may need to be fully covered for the typical type of damage in your area
After you have the right insurances to protect your property, then prepare your property to handle the possible weather coming your way. Make sure your property has proper and clear drainage and invest in sandbags and other water-prevention tools to keep the water out.
Even with proper preparation, water may still find its way into your home. In this case, we recommend you keep the following in mind:
- Wear protective gear. Wear protective clothing to protect yourself. We recommend water-resistant overalls and nitrile gloves to start. You may also want to consider goggles and an N95 mask.
- Stay safe. Don’t try to lift heavy equipment on your own. If it’s waterlogged, it will be much heavier. Also, don’t mess with compromised electronics.
- Inspect your property. Grab a mop, bucket, or a wet vacuum and start extracting the water. If the water is more than these simple tools can help you with, consider calling a professional water damage restoration company to help. They will have industrial equipment made to quickly extract water.
- Consider where the water went. Did it find its way behind your walls? If the water is at your baseboard, there’s a good chance it’s found. It's now gone underneath it and has wet the insulation behind the drywall. Wet drywall will have to be removed. If your flooring is carpet or has buckled, it will also have to be removed.
- Sanitize your property. Wherever the water touched should be cleaned to kill any live contaminants and help avoid mold growth.
- Dry your property. Air movers and dehumidifiers help remove the excess moisture from your property. Check for any wet spots around your property to make sure you know exactly where any hidden water is.
Call for a Free Flooded House Clean Up Estimate
If your property has been affected by floodwaters, give us a call. We have over 30 years of experience in the water damage restoration industry, and we have restored thousands of properties after every type of water damage. Our technicians have been part of the cleanup efforts in:
- Local Dallas storm flash floods
- Hurricanes, including Harvey
- Iowa Derecho storm of 2020
We accept all insurance claims and also work directly with property owners who are paying for the restoration themselves.
Give us a call or contact us online anytime to set up a free water damage inspection appointment.
Other Cleaning Up After a Flood Tips
Almost every water storm damage that is Category 3 will require some kind of repair or reconstruction for your home. If you work with a professional water damage restoration company, ask them if they are full-service and if they’ll also be available to reconstruct your property. Working with one company can save you the headache of managing multiple contractors.
After flood damage, properties typically need repairs for:
Choose a Trusted Storm Damage Restoration in Dallas
We’re a full-service SERVPRO in Dallas with decades of experience. When we arrive to help you with your storm damage cleanup, we will be there for you 100% of the way. We offer:
- Water Extraction
- Emergency repairs like roof tarping and board-up
- Repairs / Reconstruction
Call us anytime at (972) 986-7677 for immediate water damage assistance. We’re Here to Help.